Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rise Above Worldly Sorrow , Seek For The Heavens


One of my favorite poems is a poem written by William Ernest Henley called "Invictus" which is a Latin term for "Unconquerable". William Ernest Henley spent many years in trial and hardship. At the age of 12 William suffered from Tuberculosis of the bone which ended up causing the amputation of his left leg below the knee. He spent many years in the hospital where he wrote many of his inspiring poems including "Invictus". 


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Now the reason why I admire this man and this poem so much is the fact that this all represents Rising above our circumstances. Hope is something William Henley had throughout his life. Hope in something more for his life. Hope in something more than what he was given. The Gospel of Jesus Christ relies on Hope, Faith, and Charity. Without having the other two attributes Hope cannot be. (Moroni 10:20) I would like to think that William had to understand these things at a young age in his life because of his trials. 

"Hope is one leg of a three-legged stool, together with faith and charity. These three stabilize our lives regardless of the rough or uneven surfaces we might encounter at the time. The scriptures are clear and certain about the importance of hope. The Apostle Paul taught that the scriptures were written to the end that we “might have hope.” 1
Hope has the power to fill our lives with happiness. 2 Its absence—when this desire of our heart is delayed—can make “the heart sick.” 3 (Dieter F. Uchtdorf). 

 I am confident that we can rise above our trials, adversities and current circumstances in our life by having Hope. The Gospel of Jesus Christ teaches us to have hope in our lives each and everyday. The gospel helps us have a positive attitude and helps us see the light at the end of the tunnel even at the worst of times.
 (D&C121:7)
 Each and everyday we are saved by our hope.(Romans 8:24). Without hope in something more more our lives we are lost in an illusion of worldly view, cares, and opinions. It can be a scary hard place without hope in something more. I am not sure where William Henley's s inspiration came from but I feel confident in saying that he demonstrated Hope, Faith, and Charity. With the Gospel Of Jesus Christ we can learn to better do that in our lives each and everyday. I am certain that my life is more optimistic, sure, and positive as I've had this Gospel in my life.

 Jesus Christ suffered the Atonement for us so that we could have hope.( John 3:16) As we look to Jesus Christ in our lives he offers us hope. He offers us freedom. He offers us love. The Atonement of Christ is here for us today to better ourselves and overcome the world. I know Jesus Christ lives. I have felt the power of his Atonement immensely in my life. I know the Book of Mormon testifies of Christ and his atonement. I know the Gospel brings light to an other wise dark, unmerciful world with little or no certainty. The gospel brings certainty and it brings HOPE.






 

2 comments:

  1. Hope is some of the "first aid" we all need in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. Hope is something that we all need in this life to get us through the worst of times. Christ beings us all that hope.

    ReplyDelete